East Side Mario’s
Portugal Cove Rd, St. John’s NL A1B 2N2
I had an opportunity to take my children out for lunch (while in St. John’s) just before school opened a couple weeks back, my kids love their pasta so I thought it was a good time to visit East Side Mario’s. It had been years since I have eaten there but I personally have always had a positive experience although my wife can’t eat there as they cannot guarantee if any of the food contains or has come into contact with MSG, (Thus the reason we can’t visit as a family).
I like the layout of the restaurant, spacious, Italian inspired design and decoration throughout the room, and the open concept pizza/pastas oven.
My kids really enjoyed the bread while we waited for their pizza and the wait time was not long before they were presented with their pie, both agree it was delicious.
I came for the pasta, and when I saw the 16 layer lasagna on the menu I had to give it a try, firstly because it looks amazing, secondly because I love a good lasagna and lastly I was interested to see if it looked and tasted as good as it looked on the menu. I am happy to report that East Side Mario’s delivered, the serving was huge, there was actual layers of goodness, from the beef, sausage, plenty of cheese and the Bolognese had a wonderful depth of flavor. I would definitely return for that dish any time, but maybe next time for dinner so I could have a nice glass of wine with it.
- Friendly servers (hats off to the staff during the brief outage during lunch, they handled the situation with confidence and kept us informed during this event)
- Nice surroundings
- Family and group friendly
- Delish pizza and amazing pasta
- It was a warm day (for NL standards) once entering I noticed the temp, for our table it was a little uncomfortable. Many other larger restaurants also like to keep it cool, it is ok when first entering but can get a little chilly.
- A little loud but tolerable
Price $$$ (lunch) points 3 ½ out of 5